Thursday, October 10, 2013

Amazing ministry tools (Part 2 technology)

The world today is driven by media. Love it or hate it, that's just the way it is. We can run from media and technology and shove our heads in holes and pretend that it isn't out there or, we can embrace it and learn how to use it effectively in our ministries.
So, here we go!

GLO BIBLE- This thing rocks. It incorporates a vast media platform with tons of videos and pictures, an interactive Bible that allows you to use bookmarks and take notes and so much more! Whats great is they have a iPhone/iPad app as well as a desktop app.

APPLE TV- I know, this one seems weird, but let me explain. This puppy will unleash the projector in your youth room. Couple Apple TV with an iOS device and now anything that you pull up on your iPad, iPhone or Mac computer will wirelessly be streamed through the Apple TV and onto your big screen. Not to mention it connects to Youtube, Netflix and Hulu so you will always have a lockin movie on hand.

EVERNOTE- Another great app for your computer/ iPad or iPhone. Take notes at a conference on your iPad, share ideas, save websites, tons of uses for this little app.
Here's my personal favorite combination:
  • Evernote
  • Glo Bible
  • Apple TV
  • iPad
And here is my workflow. I type out my lesson, drag and drop the file into my "Lessons" notebook in Evernote, drag and drop any media into the same notebook. Bookmark all verses I will be using for the lesson in Glo Bible, Sync everything with my iPhone and iPad, fire up the projector and Apple TV and teach away! Whenever I come to a verse that I want the kids to read, I use Airplay on my iPad (which is so easy now with iOS 7) and project the verse on the screen. I do the same thing with any media that is embedded into my Evernote notebook. I also use my iPhone as a Apple TV remote and play music while kids are coming and going.
I know, it sounds crazy but, my youth kids respond to it and enjoy it, so I use it and honestly, once you get into the routine of the workflow, it does make things very very simple.

IPAD- Need I really go into detail on this one? There are a TON of ministry uses for an iPad. This may be a whole blog post unto its self.

LIVESTREAM- Be careful with this one. Livestream can be an amazing tool. But please please please, if you are going to do it, do it well and bring in someone that knows what they are doing or at least has the passion to learn. There are a ton of churches that are using this tool and it looks horrible. So, if you don't have the time, people and money set aside to make this jump, DONT DO IT!
That being said, here is what it does.
With Livestream, you are able to live broadcast your service over the internet. Here is why its cool, imagine you are traveling and arn't able to make it to Sunday morning services. No problem, you whip out your iPad, go to your churches website, click on the LIVE NOW link and watch the church service in real time.
There are sooo many possibilities for this technology.
Here's the kicker, its going to cost you. You will need a Livestream account, A decent HD camera, a USB capture device and a computer burly enough to run it, the little laptop that you use to run power point on Sunday mornings aint going to cut it. DO NOT CUT CORNERS ON THIS! Get yourself a decent machine like an iMac (I know, Ive been called biased many times before, but the fact of the matter is, Macs were made to do this type of stuff! I wouldn't use and El Camino to pull a horse trailer, so don't use a Frankeinsteined PC to do heavy graphics work. Yes, it can be done, but you better have someone who knows what they are doing behind the wheel. In this situation, the Macs are intuitive and easy to use, even for beginners. That's the end of my rant)

IMAC- You saw it coming. Let me break down my thinking to you. Awhile back we were looking at putting a new computer in our sound-booth. I suggested a Mac, people freaked out because they are scared of learning something new and they thought that OS X would take themselves and everyone else thatt uses the computer months to learn. Absolutely not true. Give me one hour and I will have you up and running using Mac like a pro. Don't let the fear of something new scare you off.
So, here is why I love using an iMac in the sound-booth.
  • All in One machine
    • Everything you need is built into one Glass and Metal case. The argument was made that you cant run dual monitors or a monitor and a projector, again, this is wrong. In fact, I run 3 monitors out of my iMac. The iMac, the projector and a smaller reference monitor that mirrors the image coming out of the projector. Its a $24 adapter that will allow you to run whatever monitor you would like!
  • Many programs built right in
    • iMovie, iTunes, Garage Band, iPhoto. These programs come pre installed and would cost you a bunch of extra money if you went the PC route. Plus they are optimized to what you need out of a media computer.
      • Example: A few years back, a family was using our facility for a memorial service. As it always happens, right at the last minute, they approach me with a CD of images that they wanted put up on the projector to play during the meal. I asked them what the deceased's favorite song was and they told me "Old Rugged Cross". I took the disk, uploaded it to the iMac, opened iPhoto, loaded all of the images into an "event" folder, Found a rendition of "Old Rugged Cross" on iTunes, purchased it, put it as the soundtrack (along with a few other songs) to a slide show that was created in iPhoto out of the families pictures and played the slide show. Elapsed time from getting the disk to clicking play on the slideshow? 7 Minutes.
  • Simplicity
    • It just works. You arnt constantly closing pop up windows reminding you of updates, virus scan isn't constantly telling you it needs to be updated. When you click on a program, it opens, when you need a file, you search for it and find it. Everything is drag and drop. Move a file from this folder to the other, done, drag it over and drop it in.
  • Secure
    • This is a given, there arnt nearly as many viruses out there attacking Mac computers.
  • My list could go on and on....save yourself the headaches and shell out the extra cash to do it right the first time. 
CANNON XA10 - This little thing is just awesome. It has everything that you need for a church and more. Its simple to use, small, will allow you to pull audio straight from your soundboard, would be an excellent choice for a Livestream camera, its well built and a ton more. Go check it out.

LIVESTREAM BROADCASTER- Now that you have Livestreaming in the bag, take it on the road. With the broadcaster, you can. All you need is a wifi signal which is easy to obtain. Plug it into your Cannon XA10 and away you go!

There is a ton more that I can add to the list, but these are a few of my favorites. I will update as time permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment