Monday, June 10, 2013

Those are rad!!!


Here it is.
Social Justice brought on by...consumerism.
I'm seeing more an more this fad of Social Justice. I met a guy the other day that had a massive amount of... things hanging around his neck, showing all of the causes that he supported. A whistle to show his support for human trafficking, beads for this, a key for that, all kinds of stuff. It got me thinking.
We all like the idea of making a difference. Its becoming a fad. Wallets made out of political posters made by people who are politically oppressed, shoes that show your support for the...un-shoed(?), cell phone cases, the list goes on and on. We all want to make a difference. This is how we do it? Don't get me wrong, these are all worthy causes, but does our support stop there? Is that the end of our activity? surprisingly, when you ask some people if they would help take water to the homeless on a hot day or serve a meal in the park, they have other plans. When the rubber hits the road and action outside of our comfort zones is required, we rationalize our way out of making a difference. I'm too old, I'm busy, I'm injured, the list of excuses is a mile long.
We are called to action. I'm not trying to get down on people, I'm trying to shed light, if you want to make a difference, make a difference. Don't just support by your consumerism (of which I am a part of, I admit), support by your heart, in prayer, in the trenches. Find something local that you can help with. Volunteer at your local Rescue Mission or Homeless Shelter. Have coffee with a homeless person and hear their story.

Get active.

No comments:

Post a Comment